Thursday, September 6, 2012

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs Book Review

Hey everybody, for this book review, I will be reviewing Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children  by Ransom Riggs. There is a video review posted right before my written review if you'd like to hear the review that way as well! Enjoy!

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
by Ransom Riggs
Published June 7, 2011 by Quirk
352 pages

A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of peculiar photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that Miss Peregrine's children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow -- impossible though it seems -- they may still be alive.

A spine-tingling fantasy illustrated with haunting vintage photography, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children will delight adults, teens, and anyone who relishes an adventure in the shadows.



Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children is about a boy Jacob, who is surprisingly relatable in my opinion. His grandfather -- who by the way calls him Yakob, or that's how it comes out anyway with his Polish accent -- has been telling him stories of this place where he lived as a child with all these wondrous children with peculiar talents. It was during World War II, and Jacob's grandfather, Abraham Portman, was shipped to a children's home in Wales. Jacob used to believe these stories of these children and the monsters, but as he grew older he thought of them only as fairy tales -- how wrong he was. When something tragic happens, his grandfather leaves it to Jacob to find out what his grandfather hasn't told him and starts to revisit the stories he once believed in.

I really didn't know what to expect with this book -- I had originally thought it was going to be super creepy and I was kind of hesitant to pick it up. But after seeing it on the shelves for over a year and always almost getting it before putting it back, I sucked it up and finally made the purchase. And I'm glad I did! I had no clue what I was getting into, but I really did like this book.

This story is basically a grown up picture book -- and it's executed better than I thought it'd be. The images do add to the story -- and added to it's creepiness -- but a couple seem haphazardly thrown in while others seemed to flow more nicely. I do think it was amazing for Riggs to research and find all these old photos and create an intensely detailed book out of them and connect them all together. It reminds me of those picture prompts on standardized tests except much better! So hats off to Riggs for this accomplishment and creative idea!

So I thought this book was going to be a lot creepier. And in the beginning it was starting out kind of creepy, but then it takes a turn for the better. I thought Jacob was going to be haunted by these peculiar children as he figured everything out but the story was turned down a different path. I love where he took this story and I believe that there are more books to come in the series which I'll gladly pick up if this is true, whenever they come out.

I did have some reservations, like some weirdness with the things that happen in the book. **Spoiler alert** I thought it was so very weird how these 'children' were over eighty-years-old, but they were still acting like children! And the fact that Emma, who was basically Jacob's grandfather's ex-girlfriend, was trying to get with Jacob! Ew! Weird........ I didn't like that. **End Spoiler Alert**

Overall, I think this book was overall a good read, although it wasn't quick I think it's worth investing your time in. I don't think it's for everyone. For example, romance was not a big player in this book and it was a bit peculiar, but I still would recommend it. It wasn't a favorite, but I still think it's a worthwhile book to pick up if you think you'd like it.

My rating: 3/5
Let me know what you think and if you agree about the things I said in my spoiler alert or anything else!

Happy Reading!

4 comments:

  1. I followed your blog and shared it on my FB page. My blog is http://www.melinathereader.com and my FB page is https://www.facebook.com/#!/MelinasBookBlog Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a decent novel but it's not for me. I bet it would creep the
    !@#$ out of me :P. I'm more of a Fantasy typical farmer kid who then discovers he is born for a greater purpose story xD Anyways I really liked how you did your review. I also love your format for every review especially your blue bubble. I would honestly stop by every time you had a review up if you would always do video reviews which are extremely cool and quite rare. Although I understand how Video reviews can be sooo time consuming espcially since you do have to write out a review aswell as post a video review. I also liked how you had your ideas in order but just talked about the book as if you were talking to a friend. I beleive it's important to inform your viewers about your choice but enjoying what you do is the most important part. I'm totally following even though we do not share similar book interests :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like the blog now following you please check mine out at http://broad-mindedbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review Maureen!
    I'm your new follower :)
    Would love a follow back here - http://highlyreadioactive.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete