Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight by Jennifer E. Smith Book Review

The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight 
by Jennifer E. Smith
Published January 2, 2012 by Poppy/Little Brown
236 Pages

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. Having missed her flight, she's stuck at JFK airport and late to her father's second wedding which is taking place in London and involves a soon-to-be stepmother Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's sitting in her row.

A long night on the plane passes in the blink of an eye, and Hadley and Oliver lose track of each other in the airport chaos upon arrival. can fate intervene to bring them back together once more?

Quirks of timing play out in this romantic and cinematic novel about family connections, second chances, and first loves. Set over a twenty-four-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it.


The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight was not was what I expected! The story's about a girl named Hadley who has been forced to go overseas to England for her dad's wedding -- one she desperately doesn't want to go to. Through a turn of events, she misses her flight by four minutes and has to get on a later one. While waiting for the next flight, she meets Oliver, a british boy who turns out to be sitting in her row.

This was a quick, cute story set in the time-frame of twenty four hours. It was a fun story that had me smiling. It is definitely something I would categorize as a summer read. My favorite part was the beginning, most definitely. I also thought it to be surprising how much they focused on the family aspect for Hadley it almost overshadowed the love aspect which I thought quite strange since the title is The Statistical Probability of Love at First sight, but I still loved it!

It was sweet, and it made me want an Oliver who I could meet in the airport and have a nice plane ride together. This was the kind of story that really makes you think about the crazy way some people meet and end up in a relationship. And how each story is entirely their own. There's Charlotte's and Hadley's dad's story, at one point there was her parents story, there was her mom and the dentist's story, and then Hadley's story with Oliver and it was very cute and nicely portrayed.

The only reason I rated it a three was because while it was cute and fun, it wasn't a favorite of mine and it doesn't stand out too much. I didn't connect as well as I thought I was going to with the story even thought I thought it was undeniably cute and agreed with Hadley's anger. Something was just off for me, and maybe it was because everyone else seemed to love it after I had already purchased it, and it made me even more excited to read it. I don't know if my expectations were too high or what. I rate between a three and a four so that's the reason for double rating below! I really did enjoy it and I do recommend it for an easy, quick, and light read about love at first sight!

My rating: 3-4/5
Buy it:  Barnes & Noble  &  Amazon

1 comment:

  1. Nice review! Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-statistical-probability-of-love-at.html

    They're turning this one into a movie. I'm so excited!

    Thanks and have a nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete