Thursday, September 13, 2012

Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan Book Review

Hey everyone! Today's book review is Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green & David Levithan. Check out the video review too! Enjoy!

Will Grayson, Will Grayson
by John Green & David Levithan
Published April 6, 2010 by Dutton Juvenile
310 pages

It's not that far from Evanston to Naperville, but Chicago suburbanites Will Grayson and Will Grayson might as well live on different planets. When fate delivers them both to the same surprising crossroads, the Will Graysons find their lives overlapping and hurtling in new and unexpected directions.

With a push from friends new and old -- including the massive, and massively fabulous, Tiny Cooper, offensive lineman and musical theater auteur extraordinaire -- Will and Will begin building toward respective romantic turns-of-heart and the epic production of history's most awesome high school musical.


Will Grayson, Will Grayson is a hilariously wonderful collaboration of John Green & David Levithan. I love John Green. I love him, I love him, I love him. His books always inspire me, and even though he is too smart for me, I love his writing. This story was phenomenal. It had wittiness, and the sarcasm I love of John Green's. This is the first David Levithan book, and I think it's fantastic.

The book is about two boys name Will Grayson who strangely cross paths in the middle of hectic parts of their lives. Their lives intertwine and leave them with even greater stories which all lead to the end musical by Will Grayson's best friend Tiny Cooper.

I loved Will Grayson -- yes, both Will Graysons. The characters were both hilarious, and beautifully truthful. I fell in love with both of them. The second Will Grayson, with Maura, turned out to be my favorite -- with the Other Will Grayson coming in a very close second. He was mean, and sarcastic, and I just connected with him. All the characters were relatable -- except maybe Tiny! But they were all loveable, I think. I connected with each one and they were all important parts of the stories going on in the book.

The flow of the two writers together worked impeccably with the changing of narrations. This novel was hilarious and had me laughing even when something was going wrong. I love that about books that John Green writes, and I'm determined now to check out David Levithan's other books because this was phenomenal.

The only thing I didn't like was the second Will Grayson and how his chapters were written. It was all lowercase and it kind of irked me, but grew on me as the story went on. It was that Will Grayson in writing and I felt that after a while. I also loved the dialogue and how it was done. It just worked really well. I definitely recommend this book, it was really different and something I wasn't sure I was going to like -- how silly of me, John Green co-wrote it!! Check it out and you won't be disappointed!

My rating: 5/5

Buy it:  Barnes & Noble  or  Amazon

Tell me what you think!

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. Great review, I really like John Green's writing and I think I'll have to check this one out further even though I'm not a fan of David Levithan your review was pretty persuasive.
    Love how you reworked the blog btw!
    -Kimberly @ Turning The Pages

    ReplyDelete