Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Looking for Alaska by John Green Book Review

Hey everybody, today I'm going to be reviewing one of my favorite books, Looking for Alaska by John Green. Enjoy! Don't forget to check out the video review too!

Looking for Alaska
by John Green
Published December 38, 2006 by Speak
221 pages

Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole existence has been one big nonevent, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave the "Great Perhaps" [Francois Rabelais, poet] even more. He heads off to the sometimes crazy, possibly unstable, and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed-up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young, who is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart.

After. Nothing is ever the same.



Looking for Alaska is a book about this boy who is nicknamed Pudge, who goes off to a boarding school called Culver Creek. Here he meets the Colonel, Takumi, -- and the ever mind-blowing Alaska Young. She immediately catches Pudge's eye, and they form a friendship that is unique and verging on something else.

First off, I'd like to say this is my favorite book ever. I've read it countless times and I always end up falling in love with it over and over again. The novel is so thought provoking and hits on some really heavy stuff -- but John Green does it in a way where you can enjoy it as emotional as it makes you. The way it was written was so impeccably wonderful and John Green has such a way with words that I have my own copy doggy eared on so many pages -- even though I normally refuse to mess with books in that way, but this one is my only exception.

I adore the characters and how well-rounded and truthful they are. They are not only relatable, but I would love to be at Culver Creek with them. They are so interesting and they have their own stories and own flaws. The mystery of what was going to happen in the book caught me by surprise the first time I read it, and even thought I now know it's coming, it doesn't lessen the book's appeal for me one bit. I highly recommend this book to anyone.

Here are my favorite quotes -- which is a very long list that I tried to shorten!!

"What happens to people after they die?" was "Well, something. Maybe."
Just like that. From a hundred miles an hour to asleep in a nanosecond. I wanted so badly to lie down next to her on the couch, to wrap my arms around her and sleep. not fuck, like in those movies. not even have sex. Just sleep together, in the most innocent sense of the phrase. But I lacked the courage and she had a boyfriend and I was gawky and she was gorgeous and I was hopelessly boring and she was endlessly fascinating. So I walked back to my room and collapsed on the bottom bunk, thinking that if people were rain, I was a drizzle and she was a hurricane. 
People, I thought, wanted security. They couldn't bear the idea of death being a big black nothing, couldn't bear the thought of loved ones not existing, and couldn't even imagine themselves not existing. I finally decided that people believed in an afterlife because they couldn't bear not to. 
"Pudge, what ou must understand about me is that I am a deeply unhappy person."
That is fear: I have lost something important, and I cannot find it, and I need it.
How long is an instant? Is it one second? Ten? The pain of those seconds must have been awful..... What the hell is instant? Nothing is instant. 
You left me Perhapsless, stuck in your goddamned labyrinth. 
When you stopped wishing things wouldn't fall apart, you'd stop suffering when they did.
It always shocked me when I realized that I wasn't the only person in the world who thought and felt such strange and awful things.
"After all this time, it still seems to me like straight and fast is the only way out -- but I choose the labyrinth. The labyrinth blows, but I choose it."  
My rating: 5/5

Buy it:  Barnes & Noble  or  Amazon

Happy Reading! Let me know if you love this book as much as I do!


3 comments:

  1. We all know that we need some entertainments to help us relax ourselves,if you are interested in playing World Of Warcraft,and want to know more things about http://www.mmolive.com/ and http://www.mmohome.com/gold/Maple-Story-US.html,you can come to our home to enjoy more happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say this is a good post, like the posts in http://www.gw2goldsale.com.news

    ReplyDelete
  3. Friendship is like a tree. It is not measured on how tall it could be but on how deep the roots have grown.



    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Diablo 3 power leveling, D3 power leveling

    ReplyDelete