Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky Book Review

Hey everyone today's book review is going to be of The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky in honor of the new movie that just came out! Enjoy!

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
by Stephen Chbosky
Published February 1, 1999 by MTV Books and Pocket Books
213 pages

Standing of the fringes of life... offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

Since it's publication, Stephen Chbosky's haunting novel about the dilemma of passivity vs. passion has received critical acclaim, provoked discussion and debate, and grown into a cult sensation with over one million copies in print.

It is the story of what it's like to grow up in high school. More intimate than a diary, Charlie's letters are singular and unique, hilarious and devastating. We may not know where he lives. We may not know to whom he is writing. All we know is the world he shares. Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it puts him on a strange course through uncharted territory. The world of first dates, family dramas, and new friends. The world of sex, drugs, and the Rocky Horror Picture Show, where all you need is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite.

Through Charlie, Chbosky has created a deeply affecting novel that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller coaster days known as growing up.



The Perks of Being a Wallflower is about this boy Charlie who through letters to an anonymous "friend" tells the story of his freshman year of high school. He's innocent and he's just being thrown into the "teenage world"and you read as he tells you through this letters what he is experiencing. It's a different way of story telling and it was completely fantastic.

I read this story over two years ago, and I loved it, but no one knew about it! I would rave about it constantly to anyone that would listen, and now it's getting the recognition it deserves as well as a movie! I'll admit that I haven't been to see it yet, and I'm nervous. It looks good, but this book is the kind of magical book where the movie can either go brilliantly or horrendously and I'm not sure which it's going to be!

However, I loved this book. It's one of my favorites. It is so beautifully written. The writing is entirely Charlie's voice -- and even if it's a little choppy it works so well in the story. I loved the ideas of writing letters to a "friend" who we will never know who he/she is. This novel was something that really had so many good characters and such good story telling through a unique way. I loved Charlie's character, and I would have loved to be his friend because he was so awesome! I would have loved to be in this story.

There were so many quotable things in this book as well:

I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them. 
This is one of my favorite quotes from this book. The message it sends and how it's entirely up to you to change your own life and take your life into your own hands is so completely awesome!

But because things change. And friends leave. And life doesn't stop for anybody.
I don't know if you've ever felt like that. That you wanted to sleep for a thousand years. Or just not exist. or just not be aware that you do exist. Or something like that. I think that wanting that is very morbid, but I want it when I get like this. That's why I'm trying not to think. I just want it all to stop spinning.
First, I am very interested and fascinated by how everyone loves each other, but no one really likes each other. 
And in that moment, I swear we were infinite. 
"Charlie, we accept the love we think we deserve."
 These quotes are like mini-life lessons! I had to narrow down my list but these are my favorite and of course the ever-famous "And in that moment, I swear we were infinite" quote. It just brilliant. Charlie's just so relatable and I love everything he says so much that I would love to have a conversation about them. Sometimes It's like he's taking the words right out of my mouth. I definitely recommend this book to anyone and everyone!
My rating: 5/5 
Buy it:  Barnes & Noble  or  Amazon

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment