Thursday, November 22, 2012

Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake Book Review


Anna Dressed in Blood
by Kendare Blake
Published August 30, 2011 by Tor Teen
316 pages

Cas Lowood has inherited an unusual vocation: He kills the dead.

So did his father before him, until his gruesome murder by a ghost he sought to kill. Now, armed with his father's mysterious and deadly athame, Cas travels the country with his kitchen-witch mother and their spirit-sniffing cat. Together they follow legends and local lore, trying to keep up with the murderous dead -- keeping pesky things like the future and friends at bay.

When they arrive in a new town in search of a ghost the locals call Anna Dressed in Blood, Cas doesn't expect anything outside of the ordinary: move, hunt, kill. What he finds instead is a girl entangled in curses and rage, a ghost like he's never faced before. She still wears the dress she wore on the day of her brutal murder in 1958: once white, but now stained read and dripping blood. Since her death, Anna has killed any and every person who has dared to step into the deserted Victorian she used to call home.

And she, for whatever reason, spares his life.


Anna Dressed in Blood was about this boy named Cas who takes after his father in the ghost killing business. He tracks down ghosts with his mother, who happens to be a witch, and finds ghosts that are killing innocent individuals and he sends them on their way. Cas has taken after what his father used to do, before the job got the best of him.When he gets an interesting tip about this ghost in Thunder Bay called Anna Dressed in Blood who rips apart whoever dares walk into her house, he immediately is taken with the idea and sets out to kill her. So why is it that everyone but Cas is killed as soon as they step foot in Anna's house?

I loved this book. There were a couple things that didn't connect for me, like the fact that everyone was so believing of the supernatural except for maybe Carmel. She really was the voice of reason. But besides that, everyone wasn't in denial like I would be if I heard about something like that or experienced it even. Also, I am a complete scaredy cat who can't even watch scary movies, so I thought I'd try my hand at scary books, and I had been seeing in reviews and suggestions that this book was very scary, and I was kind of excited! However, I didn't seem to get that scared by what happened in the book and I was kind of disappointed. I think it was because the way some of the events were being described through Cas's voice. Cas didn't seem to be as afraid as I would be in that situation, so the way the author talked about it from his point of view was calmer and didn't make it seem as scary. Also the romance aspect knocked it down for me too. It was very unexpected and thrown in too late in the book. It was out of the blue and there was really no emotional connection before that or even when it happened it all seemed kind of detached. I really didn't like it.

There were some parts that did freak me out though! And I loved Cas, Anna, Carmel & Thomas's characters! They really grew on me and I didn't think I would like Cas as much as I did throughout the book but I really fell in love with him. Also, I really liked the story line. It was so different and I didn't know what was going to happen at all which I love in books. It kept me guessing and I really liked that aspect. It was very well written and a very very good book. I can't wait to read the next one! I'm pretty sure I'll start it right away (Girl of Nightmares is the second one!). I really enjoyed everything that went on in this book and it was a good read so I recommend it to anyone if they were searching for a light Halloween read.

If you want to try out scary books but you're a scaredy cat like me, this is the perfect book for you. It's freaky but it won't keep you up at night.

My rating: 3/5

Buy it:  Barnes & Noble  or  Amazon

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment