Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Should You Judge a Book by it's Cover?


Today, I just have the need to talk about book covers and whether or not they are important or whether or not they are what you should judge a book on. I was thinking about this the other day when I was in a bookstore, and I was at a complete loss of what to buy! It was one of those times where I didn't have any books I was setting out to find, and was just going to see what I could discover and I realized how I looked for books sometimes and what normally, people see first when looking for books.

So I know everyone says you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, and that what lies underneath might be completely amazing but the cover completely boring. And I have found for some books, this is true, one of my personal favorites: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky is so boring and if I hadn't had someone tell me to get it, then when it first came out, I wouldn't have gotten it! (I'm so glad I did because it became an immediate favorite, and now it's getting so much publicity because of the movie! Go Wallflowers!!) The words beneath it's plain green cover are beautifully crafter and works of magical wonder, okay. So that's where I agree that some real gems, are more about the writing beneath the cover, are so much better than their bland covers. 

On the other hand, covers are such a big importance. Especially for book collectors, or book bloggers I know it's a big deal. Especially for your shelf -- you need the same continuos covers for a series, and you want the prettiest ones showing on the shelf. Also, it's what grabs my attention! When I'm walking through the bookstore, and I don't have recommendations, or researched books and I'm going just to find undiscovered gems, the two things that stick out to me the most -- that make me want to pick it up and read the synopsis are the title and the cover design. If neither interest me, I am less likely to buy it or read the synopsis. I'll look through the shelves, and pull out the most interesting titles, or the ones with the most interesting cover. And sometimes, those books aren't necessarily the greatest, and other times the book lives up to the awesomeness of the cover. So, I know that the cover doesn't dictate whether or not the book is good -- but you can't help but sometimes have it influence whether or not you pick up a book to find out about and potentially buy. I can't help but gravitate towards the pretty covers and cool titles because they catch my eye!!

So, no you don't need a good cover or title to have an amazing book but you're more likely to be picked  up! There are always exceptions to the rule and I don't always just go to the ones with pretty covers. I like reading the description of almost every book and picking what sounds the best to me. Still, pretty covers and titles do help. I seem to find better books when either I have a recommendation (rather than me just researching a book that I haven't really heard anything about online beforehand), or no idea of what I want. 

Tell me how you look for books and if you find yourself gravitating toward pretty covers or cool titles like me, or if you NEVER judge a book by it's cover and it never stops you from picking something up.

Happy Reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment