Friday, December 21, 2012

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl Book Review


Beautiful Creatures
by Kami Garcia & Margaret Stohl
Published December 1, 2009 by Little Brown and Company
563 pages

There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
We were pretty much the epicenter of the middle of nowhere.
At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.

And in the end, there was a grave.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever.

Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them.

In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.


Beautiful Creatures is about Ethan Wate, and his small southern town of Gatlin where not much has ever changed -- until Lena Duchannes comes into town. The strange niece of the recluse, Macon Ravenwood -- and also cursed with a crazy family history. For some reason, things start to change, and Ethan Wate is about to be in for the shock of his life. How can you still not know so much about a town you've been born and raised in?

I absolutely adored this book! I can't wait to pick up the next one! Even though the story was long, I read it rather quickly. It was dark, and mysterious and enticing! I loved every second of it. I liked how it kept you guessing and it had so many different facets and interesting characters. I could totally relate with Lena, and I liked seeing a story like this through Ethan's eyes. It was a very smart and awesome way to tell the story that really kept me entertained. Link, though, was one of my favorite characters as well as the Sisters! They were so hilarious!

The story line was different and I liked how crazy everything seemed to be. I like how this world was one built with so many arts to it, and you just want to know more. I'm itching for the next, because I know there are four total in the series and I have so many questions that I want answered! The ending was magnificent but it definitely is a bit of a cliffhanger in it's own way.

Also, the world was so well created that I could feel it. I wished I had a crazy person like Amma taking care of me, and it makes me picture this small town that I've never experienced, but I felt like I have through the writing. I felt like I was in this wold of Casters and DAR societies entwined. It was so interesting.

I loved some of the quotes that popped up in this book as well. It really got you thinking and it really showed how well written the book was. Some of my favorites are: 

"It's funny how you can live somewhere your whole life, but not really see it."
"Darkness, real darkness, was something more than just a lack of light."
If you've read it, let me know what you think! If not please go out and try it because I highly recommend this book to everyone!

My rating: 5/5
Buy it:  Barnes & Noble  or  Amazon

Happy Reading!!

2 comments:

  1. I really liked your review! I think I would give this one a go because of the mysterious aura of the book, and just because you said it will keep you guessing!
    -
    Leigh
    Little Book Star

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! And that's definitely what I liked about it. It wasn't predictable and it had so many intricate parts. I really thoroughly enjoyed it and i hope you do too if you choose to read it!

      Delete