Monday, December 31, 2012

Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry Book Review

Hey everyone! Sorry for the wait, the holidays are such busy times and I promise I'll be on my game more!! I hope you enjoy!

Pushing the Limits
by Katie McGarry
Published July 31, 2012 by Harlequin Teen
392 pages

No one knows what happened the night Echo Emerson went from popular girl with jock boyfriend to gossiped-about outsider with "freaky" scars on her arms. Even Echo can't remember the whole truth of that horrible night. All she knows is that she wants everything to go back to normal.

But when Noah Hutchins, the smoking-hot, girl-using loner in the black leather jacket, explodes into her life with his tough attitude and surprising understanding, Echo's world shifts in ways she could never have imagined. They should have nothing in common. And with the secrets they both keep, being together is pretty much impossible.

Yet the crazy attraction between them refuses to go away. And Echo has to ask herself just how far they can push the limits and what she'll risk for the one guy who might teach her how to love again.


Pushing the Limits is a contemporary novel about two people wish very different personalities. Echo Emerson used to be one of the popular girls, with the hot boyfriend who was in the center of everything. But after that one dreadful night, she'd just been that freak with the strange scars on her arms. Noah also had a life, but things changed and bad boy Noah came out. When their paths cross, nothing will ever be the same.

This book has been talked about everywhere recently -- it seems I was the only person who hadn't read it! It was simply amazing. It was heartbreaking, raw, emotional and viciously riveting. It was one of the best book I've read recently. The writing was insanely good, and the story was something different. It needed no supernatural elements to take you to a different world. You really could get into the world and picture everything.

I liked being able to have both Noah and Echo narrate the book. Being able to get inside both of their heads just gave it more connection and a more vivid image. I felt the heartbreak that each of them felt. I was present through their pain and it made my chest ache just as theirs had. It easily is one of my favorite books, especially contemporary books. I loved it.

The emotions were so raw and it was opened up. Learning everything was a new experience. It really made me think about things. It sparked thoughts about life (as cliche as that sounds). It really was thought provoking and something that really stuck with me. I'm sure I'll read this over and over again.

A quote I loved:

"The worst type of crying wasn't the kind everyone could see -- the wailing on street corners, the tearing at clothes. No, the worst kind happened when your soul wept and no matter what you did, there was no way to comfort it. A section withered and became a scar on the part of your soul that survived."
I highly recommend this book, even if you don't particularly like contemporary!

My rating: 5/5
Buy it:  Barnes & Noble  or  Amazon

Happy Reading!!


No comments:

Post a Comment