Friday, December 7, 2012

The Host by Stephenie Meyer Book Review


The Host
by Stephenie Meyer
Published May 6, 2008 by Little, Brown & Company
619 pages

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. Our world has been invaded by an unseen enemy. Humans become hosts for these invaders, their minds taken over while their bodies remain intact and continue their live apparently unchanged. Most of humanity has succumbed.

When Melanie, one of the few remaining "wild" humans, is captured, she is certain it is her end. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, was warned about the challenges of living inside a human: the overwhelming emotions, the glut of senses, the too-vivid memories. But there was one difficulty Wanderer didn't expect: the former tenant of her body refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

Wanderer probes Melanie's thoughts, hoping to discover the whereabouts of the remaining human resistance. Instead, Melanie fills Wanderer's mind with visions of the man Melanie loves -- Jared, a human who still lives in hiding. Unable to separate herself from her body's desires, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she has been tasked with exposing. When outside forces make Wanderer and Melanie unwilling allies, they set off on a dangerous and uncertain search for the man they both love. 


The Host is about the soul named the Wanderer who has been on many different planets and lived in many different "hosts." Now that her species has taken over the human world as well, she is assigned to a new host: Melanie Stryder. Normally, when the Wanderer or any other soul enters a host, they get their memories, but the rest of the host's personality and mine fades away -- but Melanie is different. She's a fighter and she won't let the Wanderer completely control her. Bombarding her with images of the man she loves, she manages to get the Wanderer to team up with her in search of him.

I absolutely loved this book! It was so spectacular. I for one, love Stephenie Meyer's writing. She has such a way of getting you into the main character's head. I honestly felt like the third person inside this girl's head. I felt like I was apart of the same contradiction and world that the Wanderer and Melanie were in. The details were so vivid and I could easily picture the world that they lived in. It was so superbly written that I could lose myself in the story and finished it in record time no matter the length. I was so surprised by how much I loved this book.

The characters were so well developed as well. I felt as if I knew Jeb and felt Melanie's love for Jared. I especially loved Ian. His character was so vivid throughout the book I felt I was becoming friends with him as well. It's something that Meyer does exceptionally well. She also makes it seem so believable no matter the absurdity of the things she proposes. I really believed that this could happen.

This book also had me on a roller coaster of emotions. I could feel it in my heart and I loved books that can make me feel. I really recommend this book to anyone. It was so intriguing and exciting and amazing! Even if you don't like the Twilight Series, this is definitely a must read.

My rating: 5/5
Buy it:  Barnes & Noble  or  Amazon

Happy Reading!!

4 comments:

  1. I like the way Stephenie Meyer writes, even if I'm not a big fan of the Twilight series. It's not that I dislike the books, in fact I read them quite fast, all of them, but I didn't fall in love for the story.
    I was always kind of curious about this book, though. Loved your review!

    Ladybug
    http://english-written-portairt.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I like the way she writes too!! And I really loved the Host. It's definitely something you should pick up because the story was amazing! Thank you so much (:

      Delete
  2. I know Stephen King bashed Stephanie Meyer's writing style, but I don't see it. i think she's very gifted at pulling the reader into the story. And I'm picky! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! I think everyone just picks on her because the movies were very bad -- the first one and second one at least. And it became more of a sport of hating her because they hated twilight or the story line but her writing is very good and I loved the books and I loved this book. Thank you so much!

      Delete