Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys by Kate Brian Book Review


Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys 
by Kate Brian
Published October 2006 by Simon & Schuster
268 pages

When she was nine, Megan Meade met a group of terrible, mean, Popsicle-goo-covered boys ,the sons of her father's friend -- the McGowan boys. Now, seven years later, Megan's army doctor parents are shipping off to Korea and Megan is being sent to live with the little monsters, who are older now and quite different than she remembered them.

Living in a house with seven boys will give Megan, who has never even been kissed, the perfect opportunity to learn everything there is to know about boys. And she'll send all her notes to her best friend Tracy, in....

Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys
Observation #1: Being an army brat sucks. Except that this is definitely a better alternative to moving to Korea.
Observation #2: Forget evil, laughing, little monsters. These guys have been touched by the Abercrombie gods. They are a blur of tones, suntanned perfection.
Observation #3: I need a lock on my door. STAT.
Observation #4: Three words: six-packed abs.
Observation #5: Do not even get me started on the state of the bathroom. I'm thinking of calling in a hazmat team. Seriously.
Observation #6: These boys know how to make enemies. Big time.
Megan Meade will have to juggle a new school, a new family, a new crush -- on the boy next door, as in the next bedroom door -- and a new life. Will she survive the McGowan boys?

Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys is about army brat Megan who is sick and tired of moving around all the time for her parents. When they tell her again after she finally gets settled somewhere that they're moving to South Korea -- she puts up a fight for the first time in her life. To keep her in the states, they send her off to her dad's friend's house to live with the McGowan's -- and their seven sons. She doesn't know what she's getting herself into...

I thought it was a good book! I liked Megan; she's fiery and she tries so hard with such a big heart. I really liked her character except for some aspects in the book where it made her seem a little overly girly for such a tom boy in the way that she acted about boys at first. The writing style was I think a bit young for me. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I was a bit younger, but I liked it anyway. It was a really cute story and such a light fun read.

I read this within a couple of hours and I liked the break it gave me from heavy serious books that I had been reading. It was something stupid and teenager-y that I really enjoy sometimes. It wasn't plagued with major drama, because sometimes high school and being a teenager is just enough. I recommend it as a light read -- maybe better fit for a summer read. But it's definitely geared toward some of the younger readers in the way that it's written even if it's not supposed to be -- that's what I got out of it.

My rating: 3/5
Buy it:  Barnes & Noble  or  Amazon

Happy Reading!!

8 comments:

  1. Hey! I just nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award! You can check out the details by copying the link into your browser:

    http://thebookknoll.blogspot.com/2013/01/liebster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us.

    University of Phoenix Online

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say, I thought this was a pretty interesting read when it comes to this topic. Liked the material. . . . .

    light boxes sydney

    ReplyDelete
  4. How interesting ideas! I enjoy reading your posts – clear and well written. Thanks so much!
    Great, this is really an impressive article indeed, I will appreciate you more if post most interesting article in this blog,


    University of Phoenix Online

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your incoming updates. Just saying thanks will not just be adequate, for the wonderful clarity in your writing.It is imperative that we read blog post very carefully


    financial signs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for your comment. I am wating for this information. Join now to share
    Love it, will be waiting for your future posts Thank you for sharing
    online schooling

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and
    have my children check up here often. I am quite sure they will learn lots of new stuff here than anybody else!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that masterpiece that makes my wearing precise with new sensational garb.

    ReplyDelete